Thursday, January 31, 2013

1,2,3...Blogs I See!!

In chapter 7 of Brian Carroll's book, he discusses the different kinds of blogging. This is an element I hadn't fully thought about before reading this chapter. Carroll says that blogs fall into three categories:

1. Personal Blogs
2. Corporate Blogs
3. News Blogs

Now, before embarking on this wonderful journey of Digital Communication Class, I thought there was one kind of blog: personal blogs. However, I now see these three different types and the different purposes they serve. 

Personal blogs are individualized, typically focused on a certain interest of the blogger, and usually more conversational in tone.

Corporate blogs have one big goal: to keep their consumers updated on all things going on in their company. These blogs are also good for developing trust between the corporation and the consumer. Corporate blogs help to develop this trust by speaking plainly and humanizing the company. Another way to help build trust is by not directly trying to sell anything to people reading the corporate blog.

News blogs focus on what happened and are centered around factual events. This is the kind of blog that can sway into the category of journalism because it follow a particular method of verification.

Since I have joined this class, I have decided to embrace the world of blogging. I just started a Bloglovin account and follow blogs in each of these different categories. I am really enjoying seeing their different goals, tones, and approaches to blogging. Personally, I think I am partial to the personal blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment