Sunday, January 27, 2013

Be Heard...the Modern Way!


Blogging, blogging, blogging! I am not going to lie, when we first ventured into the world of blogging for this class I was slightly intimidated. I didn’t know how to approach a blog for this class. Was it to be purely and dominated by academics or by my voice. I feel that the most posts I have done, the more comfortable I have gotten, that I am using my voice to begin to communicate the academic side of things. 

Along the lines of blogging, we read about blogging and the the communities surrounding them. In the beginning of chapter 3, so and so says “Everyone is famous to fifteen people”. I really enjoyed and was intrigued by the point that Rettberg made about the differences between print and blogging. Blogging really allows everyone to have an outlet and an opportunity to get their word out to the world. Print also allows for that to happen, but on a different scale. Rettberg talks about how things like fanzines and newsletters can be photo-copied and sent out to people, but blogs allow for that to happen as well. Blogs also offer the added benefit that more people can see the information due to the networks and communities that link bloggers to readers and other bloggers.

One of the examples that I immediately think of is the example of a school newsletter, specifically the Furman newsletter. It always amazes me when I go home for breaks to see the Furman University newsletter. I’m always so surprised and shocked to see some of the news and stories from the University, things I had no idea about while being at Furman. If Furman had a blog (even if it accompanied the newsletter), both parents and students could enjoy the benefits of a newsletter. And chances are that other people, even prospective students and families could also benefit from the advantages of a blog. Furman also having a blog could allow for more up-to-date announcements and stories and further Furman’s recognition.

Blogging allows for many possibilities for individual, corporations, and institutions to further their recognition and get their words out to people all over the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment