Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Mission Statement

To be completely honest, digital communication intimidates me. I have never been the most savvy technological user, and I realize that this class revolves around technology. That being said, what I most look forward to learning about in digital communication is how to use and be effective with different mediums for digital communication (i.e. video, websites, podcasts). My expectation for the course is to become more knowledgeable about how to communicate through technology and use the different mediums in the most effective manner. Another expectation I have of the course (and I have for every course I take) is that I will have open communication with my professor. If I have a question or concern, I want to know that I can approach him/her about it and work through it together.

After Furman is still daunting to me because I see multiple paths I could travel. I want to either have a job in student affairs (i.e. admissions, housing and residence life) or go to graduate school for college student personnel. Ideally, I would like to be in or around the Memphis, TN area. Digital media is important in student affairs because a large component of student affairs is communicating with large numbers of students. For example, if you want students to apply for a certain student organization, advertising and marketing the organization through slideshows, pictures, and a website all make the organization accessible to the students. 

As far as a topic I'd like to research throughout the term, I think teenage pregnancy would be very interesting. I am adopted and my birthmother was sixteen when she had me. I just find teenage pregnancy and the trends and statistics about it to be fascinating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment